Tuesday, February 2, 2010

When deadlines implode

One year ago today, I was in a Tampa, Fla., hotel room celebrating the Steelers' sixth Lombardi Trophy. My father and I somehow found tickets to Super Bowl XLIII, and I wrote a few stories for the Observer-Reporter in exchange for getting a couple days off without using any vacation time. Just about four hours before kickoff, I was propped against a red cooler, tapping out my story on the tailgate of our SUV and sipping a cold brew.

The funny thing about that story is I had to write it long before the winner would be crowned. So, I wrote my lede with a to-be-determined Steeler hoisting the trophy in front of the crowd. But as we all know, the Arizona Cardinals took the lead with 2:35 left in the game, meaning my story and lede were in doubt. With little cell phone reception out of Raymond James Stadium, I frantically pondered what a Steelers loss would mean for Pittsburgh... and my story.

Thankfully, Santonio Holmes toe-tapped in the endzone, salvaging my story and the nutgraf. Candace Wolf, the editor on duty that night, quickly punched in Holmes' name and sent the copy off to the printers. The rest is history...


Steelers Nation fan-tastic in Fla.

By Michael Jones
Staff writer
mjones@observer-reporter.com

TAMPA, Fla. - Terrible Towels twirled and Raymond James Stadium rocked as the Steelers rolled Sunday night to a victory in Super Bowl XLIII against the Arizona Cardinals.

But hours before Santonio Holmes hoisted the Lombardi Trophy, anticipation swelled at tailgates near the stadium as game time approached.

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment