Monday, July 6, 2009

Help wanted?

"This is the jobs section?" my mother asked while flipping through the Post-Gazette this morning when I came over for a cup of coffee. The flimsy section used to be bigger, she claims, although she is adamant that it's rare for someone to find a job through the want ads. I did find a couple good leads if I want to begin my new career as a custodian or commercial truck driver.


It seems the top option is to network through friends and family. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to find a job, or so I've been told, and I have a couple of leads I might pursue. But for now, I'm going to take one last stab at journalism and send my stuff to a couple newspapers. I wonder how enthusiastic the P-G and Trib editors will be when they receive a clip of my riveting investigative piece I did in 2006 on why West Virginians don't like ketchup on their hot dogs. On second thought, maybe I better send the high-voltage power line stories instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment