Saturday, January 16, 2010

The bread line gets longer

An old college buddy called me Friday night with some news. We've remained close over the years -- I was in his wedding party in June 2008 -- so I was hoping for the best. Instead, Dan told me that his engineering firm outside Scranton, Pa., had let him go... just days before Christmas. This wasn't a surprise to him, though, because business had dropped off as the economy continued to sour. But the questions of what he would be facing still were upsetting.

Then I received a text message this afternoon from my step brother, Tony, saying he would be joining me "in the bread line on Monday." He heard from his boss today that the office supply company for which he has worked for nine years will be letting him go after the weekend. Tony spent most of his time working there to earn enough money to pay for his business degree at a college near his home in Jacksonville, Fla.

I explained to both of them the steps to file for unemployment, and the process for registering for COBRA. They both have expressed interest in sharing their stories through this blog. But it is still unsettling for me to know how many in my generation are without work. Dan, Tony, Amanda, Greg and others are hard workers and they deserve better. It is very upsetting that this supposed world super power has turned into a joke. We want to work, America, and are waiting for a fair opportunity with sustainable wages.

The ball is in your court.

2 comments:

  1. It's only a matter of time before yinz all start a business together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be one of the largest businesses in the U.S. if all 20 million of us breadliners start something up. Now, we just need to decide what we can sell... BREAD???

    ReplyDelete