Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The electric resume

It doesn't seem too long ago when a job seeker had to search for openings in a newspaper, print out a resume, handcraft a cover letter and assemble a portfolio for potential employers. My how things have changed in just a few years.

Now, all we have to do is type a couple words into an Internet search engine, answer a few questions using a Web form and attach a resume to the e-mail. Although it seems to be easier than ever to apply for a new job, the process makes it impersonal and sometimes even discouraging. After graduating from college in 2005, I took great pride in every application and portfolio I sent out in the mail. But when I apply for a job today, it feels like just another cog on the conveyor belt to nowhere.

So while it's amazingly easy to pursue that new job, it doesn't have the same vibe. People often ask me how the job search is going, and I'll rattle off the number of applications I've shot out through the Series of Tubes. But it doesn't make me any more hopeful of working -- or even receiving a job interview -- in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. Now companies that are looking to hire writers want them also to be well versed in Web design, social media, making brochures, writing, editing, how to distribute news releases, inner-department networking, etc. That sounds like Superman to me.

    P.S. I heard yesterday companies are telling applicants to just send them a link to their Linkedin profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really cared for Linkedin too much because it's way too bland for me. Instead, I've made a resume using another Web site that I would suggest everyone else try -- especially newspaper reporters and photographers -- because it's valuable in showing off your portfolio.

    Here's the link to mine -- www.visualcv.com/mjones -- and I would strongly suggest others build their own resume through this site. It gives employers a look at your work, and also shows you're Web savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too quit to cast off LinkedIn. I have had several people I used to work with who now own their own businesses and are in need for some freelance work. I've gotten three offers now. But I totally understand what you mean about all the electronic. I was taught that you have to stand out to catch a hiring director's eye. How do stand out when you are just another name on a list? Especially people like us, whose years of experience are much less on paper, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my current job in part because of Linkedin. Several people at my company, including both the owners, have it and are linked to me. The visualcv thing looks cool too but why put all your eggs in one basket?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of you make excellent points. Linkedindddinn... here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linkedin is a good way - but I think a domain is better. It is all about personal brandning:

    http://www.torbenrick.eu

    Love to get your feedback

    ReplyDelete